Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Caffeine Deficiency...

What do you do for energy when caffeine ceases to be potent enough to keep one's self awake. I'm on my second cup of some really strong coffee, and so far, it's not putting a brace on the eyelids. You can imagine then, that writing this is becoming increasingly difficult through closed eyes. Not that it's needed much. I'm pretty good at typing with my eyes closed. Lets see how long it can last. Not long, I don't suspect, since I'm anal about spelling things correctly.

So, I've been thinking awhile on a mod that I've been wanting to work on. I want to use the Source engine, since I have the most experience with it, it holds the most feature rich engine I know of, anit's widespread, and it's modulare, making it easy to work with. The problem begins with coming up with the story and design document. I've had several ideas, but none with the scope that I want. I know I want to tell a very in depth story, but don't want to have to do a lot of modification of the engine in order to accomplish my goals. I want to tell a story that is interesting, and provides a believable story, combined with some experimental story telling elements (such as having the main character's thoughts be spoken out loud, providing not only story telling elements, but also providing important gameplay information, such as their mental state). The one scenario I can think of is disaster survival, an area which few games have dared to tread. Brain storming session soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment